Pedal for a good cause
Athletes, Associations, Town, Sanctuary of Lourdes and Institutional have decided to organize a big charitable cyclist event “VELO FOR KIDS” which will take place on June 23rd, 2019 from Lourdes to Tourmalet for the first time.
As concerned and responsible cyclists, we thought of the many children coming to Lourdes with a disability. Thus, part of the funds raised during the event will be used to finance wheelchair-bikes for the Sanctuary of Lourdes.
The charitable vocation of the event is declined on 3 bases:
- ENJOY a cycling event that is both sporty, fun and friendly.
- ALLOW children with disabilities to live an great experience in the Pyrenees.
- FINANCING wheelchair-bikes so that children with disabilities benefit from a clever and original means of locomotion.
Every beginner, amateur cyclist or confirmed athlete can try to surpass himself by trying to beat his own challenge.
With a main departure from Lourdes, the goal is to climb the Tourmalet and to accumulate the most elevation gain by climbing 1 time, 2 times, 3 times * … for one and the same cause: Children with a disability.
Individually, each participant accumulates his own elevation. As a team, the elevation is accumulated by each member.
The goal? Go as high as possible, all without a timer, just with a time limit! At the end of the day, a ceremony will symbolically reward cyclists and teams having climbed the most elevation.
For children, people with reduced mobility and other people who don’t want to make the ascent of the Tourmalet, an adapted animation zone will be proposed at the foot of the pass (sector Tournaboup).
(*): only the last 13 km will be repeated several times (Tournaboup car park to Tourmalet)
Challenges according to your ambition
- Individual Challenge: Climb the Tourmalet once, or try to climb it twice, 3 times, … as many times as you can! (Men, Women, Junior Men, Junior Women)
- Team Challenge: With family or friends, which team can accumulate the most elevation gain?
- Club Challenge: Cycling clubs, running clubs or others… compose your team and try to be the one with the most elevation gain!
- Company Challenge: Build your team of collaborators/employees and try to be the company that will climb the most elevation!
- VFK Challenge: Assist a disabled person alone or with other cyclists to the Tourmalet! And try, why not, to climb it several times!
- Challenge Kids: Which child will be able to make the most laps on the Kids track?
The association has decided for the 2019 charity action to proceed with the financing of wheelchair-bikes which will be made available to HOSPITALITE DE LOURDES, which will manage them and ensure their maintenance. (The wheelchair-bike is a brilliant solution combining a bike with a wheelchair attached to the front. The advantage of this system: it avoids the transfer of the disabled person who can use his own chair). This material will be used for the transport of children (by their companion) with one of the 4 handicaps for their movements in the city and the Sanctuary.
Support Velo For Kids as a company!
You want to support Vélo For Kids? Why not become a sponsor of the event or build your own team of collaborators/employees to brave the “Challenge Company“.
The word from the Sponsor
Christian Prudhomme (Tour de France Director).
It gives me great pleasure to be the sponsor of this inaugural “Vélo for Kids” event.
In many ways, cycling is a bountiful and unselfish sport. Whether you are competing in the Tour de France or a hobby cyclist, conquering a climb involves pushing yourself to the limits. Cycling also allows you to escape, to discover the area, to admire the beauty and diversity of the landscape. Cycling, pedalling, whatever your pace, whatever your level, is a great opportunity to refocus, to meet and smile at others. Most importantly we share these values with Lourdes, the international centre of spirituality open to all. They take shape here particularly, in this Pyrenean backdrop, on these legendary hills and facing these mountains where the Tour de France returns every year.
Finally, we find them in this splendid project which is “Vélo for Kids” and, in its compassionate ambition to bring the world of cycling to these children who are unable to pedal. Let’s bring them a bit of happiness and freedom!!
Who we are?
Vélo For Kids is an atypical association, founded between friends, with so many different profiles. Profiles that were not made to meet but they have been, and from this union was born an original idea around cycling and Lourdes.